Washington, D.C. (March 21, 2013) – The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America) today announced the list of finalists for the 2013 Best of ITS Awards, a highly competitive program which recognizes the most innovative projects and influential achievements in the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) industry.
Finalists will be recognized and the winners announced during the Opening Plenary session of the 23rd ITS America Annual Meeting and Exposition on Monday, April 22, 2013 from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center in Nashville, Tennessee.
The Best of ITS Awards recognizes organizations whose projects have demonstrated specific and measurable outcomes and exemplified innovation by establishing a “new dimension” of performance.
The finalists, who are recognized for either best new product or best new practice, are:
Best New Innovative Products, Services, or Applications
- Transurban: “495 Express Lanes”
- Tennessee Highway Patrol: “CVE Automated Thermal Inspection System (ATIS)”
- Florida Department of Transportation (DOT): “Intelligent Transportation System Facility Management (ITSFM) System”
- Florida DOT, District Six: “Operations Task Manager Software”
- Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority: "Automated Expressway Congestion Warning System"
- Oregon DOT Office of Innovative Partnerships & Alternative Funding: “Oregon Road Usage Charge Pilot Program (RUCPP)”
- University of Minnesota Department of Civil Engineering: “SMART-Signal System and ITS Deployment in Minnesota”
- The Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University: “SURTRAC: Scalable Urban Traffic Control”
- Wisconsin Traffic Operations and Safety (TOPS) Laboratory: “Wisconsin InterCAD System 2011-2012 Interoperability Enhancements”
Best New Innovative Practices
- San Diego Association of Governments: “San Diego Interstate 15 (I-15) Integrated Corridor Management Project”
- Michigan DOT: “Southeast Michigan Transportation Operations Center”
- County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works, Traffic and Lighting Division: “Multijurisdictional Wireless Communication System Deployment”
- Serco: “Comprehensive Maintenance of NaviGAtor ITS Devices”
- University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute: “Connected Vehicle Safety Pilot Model Deployment program”
- Vaisala: “Vaisala Across America - A Road Weather Technology”
- Virginia DOT: “Virginia ITS Communication Network: A Public-Private Partnership Success”
- Idaho Transportation Department: “Winter Performance Measures”
Join us in Nashville this April 22 – 24 to experience the cutting-edge of transportation with industry leaders and decision makers from across the nation. Register and check out the program online at http://www.itsa.org/annualmeeting.
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America) is the nation’s largest organization dedicated to advancing the research, development and deployment of Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) to improve the nation’s surface transportation system. Visit www.itsa.org to learn more.
Director of Communications
Tel: (202) 721-4218